Expressive Seascape with Pastels and Ink
The emphasis for this exciting workshop is to express atmospheric effects by developing students ability to create deep rich darks to contrast with bright ocean pools of light over a distant sea. Balancing spontaneity and control of your media you'll learn how to become more expressive with your painting on this very unique mixed media paper. Using lots of masking techniques, deep rich saturated colours and layers, you will learn how to control and explore light and dark tones to create a wonderful richly layered seascape full of depth and energy.
Using both a bold approach with big brushes loaded with plenty of saturated colours you'll learn how to use contrasting tones to create a painting full of depth.
This superb fun packed workshop will help you quickly gain the confidence to control big washes of flowing colour and mixes of deep darks to really help you develop as artists.
With regular demonstrations, one to one and group tuition throughout your workshop will learn lots to help you really develop as an artist working with like minded friendly people throughout the day.
Suitable for improvers and artists with some painting experience
as well as artists who want to loosen up their style and be more free and expressive in their painting techniques.
About The Artist
Robert is quickly becoming one of the UK's best known and respected contemporary fine artists; winning regular fine art awards for his distinctive and expressive style of work in numerous international competitions.
He is a very popular training partner for several leading UK art businesses and art holiday companies throughout the UK and a leading Canson Ambassador at many prestigious events including Patchings Art, Craft and Photography Festival and 'Art Materials Live' at Birmingham NEC, amongst others.
He exhibits throughout the UK (to include the Mall Galleries and Royal Academy) and his work can also be found in numerous public and private collections throughout the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United States of America.
What you need to bring with you
- Fixative (not hairspray!).
- Soft and hard pastels (various colours and brands of your choice) Unison pastels highly recommended.
- Large drawing board and an easel of your choice if you want to work upright Masking tape.
- Your own good quality reference photos of seascapes, sketches and so on to work from. A4 good quality printouts highly recommended. Some provided but have to be returned at the end of the workshop.
- Canson Mi-Tientes 'Touch' pastel paper (white). As Robert is a UK Canson Ambassador you can purchase your pastel paper directly from Robert on the day if you wish. £5 per full Imperial Sheet
- Your own favourite brushes - the larger the better to include 2 inch flats, large mops, size 30 rounds and Large Swordliner highly recommended
- A variety of acrylic inks (any brand) colours of your choice to include white
- Masking fluid and old A4 photocopier paper (or similar)
- White old ceramic plates on which to mix your INKS (or similar)
- Medium sized containers for wells of mixed ink
- Masking fluid highly recommended and an old brush to apply it
- A notebook and camera
- Protective sheet of folder to secure your painting from damage on the way home
Workshop runs from 10am to 4.30pm
Please come to the foyer area of the Spa 15 minutes before the workshop start time to help the ArtWaves team direct you where you need to be.