Acrylic Art Workshop
with Jan Szymczuk
Painting a beautiful autumn river scene from start to finish in acrylics.
Join renowned artist Jan Szymczuk in this three hour workshop exploring acrylics and the techniques and skills required to create a beautiful autumn river scene.
Participants will have the opportunity to work in a closed and intimate environment with the artist and end the day with a completed artwork.
This workshop is suitable for artists with some previous painting experience as well as those looking to expand their skill set in acrylics.
Jan was was born in Stannington, in Northumberland in 1958 of Polish Parents. Growing up in the small mining village of Pegswood and started drawing as soon as he could hold a pencil.
He initially studied art at Newcastle Art College though financial commitments led to Jan joining the Metropolitan Police in London, and after 30 years, ended my service at New Scotland Yard, and retired in 2009 as the senior Detective Police Artist.
In March 2015 he was chosen out of over 6500 applicants as one of the ten finalists, to appear in the very first series of the Big Painting Challenge on BBC One.
My favourite medium after graphite is acrylic and oils, which I love to use when I'm painting landscapes, animals, dogs, horses and portraits. After years of using graphite pencils, I am only now, feeling I am finding my own style in using colour, and hopefully, can try and achieve the detail in my paintings I know can achieve in pencil.
"I'm an unforgettable character easily recognized locally by my long silver hair and cowboy hat, both of which accompany me wherever I wander (sounds like a song title that!)."
Please come to the foyer area of The Spa fifteen minutes before the Workshop start time to help the ArtWaves Team direct you where you need to be.
Workshop runs from 10am - 1pm
What you need to bring with you:
Ideally, you need to bring:
- Easels: (desktop or full height).
- Acrylic paints: (Titanium white, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Orange, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue, Cadmium Red, Magenta, Violet, Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Cerulean Blue, Black).
- Acrylic brushes: (flat 2" Hog hair, pointed, flat, filbert and rigger brushes).
- Palettes: (stay wet type preferred - or a piece of dampened canvas or light linen on top of a damp sponge in a tray or saucer).
- Small pieces of natural sponges (not man made).
- Stretched Canvas (20" by 16" preferred).
- Palette Knife.
- A rag or kitchen roll.
Artist Website: www.jans-art.co.uk